|
Ring of steel security costs $6m
David Munk in Cancun
Wednesday September 10, 2003
The Guardian
The Mexican authorities have thrown up a ring of steel
around vast swaths of what is one of the world's largest tourist playgrounds
to protect the 8,000 delegates, journalists and accredited pressure groups arriving
for the five-day World Trade Organisation meeting.
Up to 5,000 police have been deployed along the 15-mile
stretch, which is home to dozens of luxury hotels, multinational restaurant
chains and gawdy discos, as well as the convention centre where the WTO's meeting
will take place.
Roadblocks have been set in place, with up to six miles
of steel fencing and barricades erected at strategic points, and sniffer dogs
have been deployed in key buildings. Two ships from the Mexican navy can be
clearly seen in the clear blue waters off the main beachfront and smaller motor
launches are patrolling inland lagoons.
Officers from Scotland Yard and CIA personnel are present
in Cancun, according to local papers, to ensure the safety of dignitaries.
So far the bill for security is reported to be around
$6m (£3.7m).
The gathering of hundreds of protest groups and activist
organisations has been kept outside this secure perimeter - in Cancun town itself.
Yesterday a coalition of these groups, and a number of
NGOs, voiced fears over a reported statement from the local police commissioner
in which he vowed to match protesters "blow for blow".
In a joint statement the coalition said: "We call on President
[Vicente] Fox to publicly guarantee the safety and human rights of all who come
to speak out for global justice."
The coalition said the last time protesters took to the
streets in Cancun to demonstrate, at the 2001 World Economic Forum, dozens needed
medical treatment after clashes with police.
Antonia Juhasz, from the International Forum on Globalisation,
said the show of force this week was no less than intimidation.
"The intention of all this security is to frighten people,"
she said.
Jen Ahnam, 26, from Humboldt County, north of San Francisco,
was among a group of more than 100 fellow activists from northern California.
"People are a little apprehensive. They are concerned
the police have demonstrated that they can be very oppressive. We are going
into this with a feeling that we all have to be prepared. We want to protest
but not antagonise."
The interior minister, Santiago Creel, said: "We will
respect, of course, freedom of expression and freedom to protest, but we will
also ensure the law is strictly obeyed."
That strictness did not extend to any attempt to arrest
protesters who exposed themselves in front of the warships on Cancun's beachfront
on Monday.
Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited
2003
Return to home page
Return to the Newsroom
FAIR USE NOTICE: This document contains copyrighted
material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
The International Forum on Globalization is making this article available in
our efforts to advance the understanding of environmental, corporate accountability,
human rights, labor rights, social justice issues, etc. We believe that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section
107 of the US Copyright Law. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
|